Tuesday, September 27, 2011

A state of Joy

I've been wondering for years when I would feel joy.  I'm not talking just happiness, but the pure bliss that comes from unadulturated joy.  I feel snippets of this joy at various times in my life.  When I think back to the moments in my life where I have felt pure joy, it has always been fleeting, and almost--with the exception of the birth of my son, and the day I married Greg--always related to nature.  Like the time that I was on a bike ride with Greg and I got stuck out in the POURING rain.  Or the times that I sat on the beach at Warren Dunes, MI, soaking in the sunshine and running down the big sand dune.  Almost all of the joy that I have felt in my life is when I feel small and I feel the great bigness of God-- and how I am as tiny-- or tinier--as a grain of sand. 

Dictionary.com defines joy as:

"1.the emotion of great delight or happiness caused by something exceptionally good or satisfying; keen pleasure; elation: She felt the joy of seeing her son's success.
2.a source or cause of keen pleasure or delight; something or someone greatly valued or appreciated: Her prose style is a pure joy.
3.the expression or display of glad feeling; festive gaiety.
4.a state of happiness or felicity."
 
I often think that I would like to feel joy constantly.  But looking at the above definition, it would be nearly impossible to constantly feel joy.  And yet, that is what Christians are called to.  It is one of the fruits of the Spirit.  When our eyes are not focused on ourselves--because we can't possibly create joy within ourselves-- none of us are that exceptionally good or satisfying, nor can we be the cause of keen pleasure or delight constantly, nor will we always feel glad, or festive gaiety.  However, when we focus on Christ, and what he has done for us, it is possible to be joyous.  Which makes me think that if I want more joy in my life, I'd better start thinking about my Creator more often!   
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment