Saturday, October 8, 2011

Crockpot Apple spice cake

Okay, so my oven's broke, and I badly wanted to make apple spice cake.  I wasn't sure how to make it because I couldn't find a recipe that used fresh apples, and I wanted to use some apples that I had.  So I looked at a bunch of different recipes and made my own Crock Pot Apple Spice Cake recipe.  Here goes:

Ingredients:

7 cups apples of various kinds, cored, peeled and sliced
3 TBL lemon juice concentrate
3/4 cup sugar
2 TBL flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
Spice Cake mix
1/2 cup butter

materials (among other things)
1 large crock pot
microwave

Melt 1 stick of butter in microwave, set aside.  Prepare apples, toss with lemon juice, sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg.  Bake in microwave for 25 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.  Cover, but leave a little bit of room for the steam from the apples to escape.  Meanwhile take the butter that's been melted and mix it with the cake mix.  The batter will be more like flakey breadcrumbs than batter.  When the apples have been cooked down to what looks like the inside of an apple pie, toss into a well greased crock pot, and sprinkle the cake "batter" over the top.  Cook on high in the crock pot for 3-4 hours.  And Voila!  Serve while warm.

This picture shows what the "Batter" looks like on the top before it's been cooked.




I took this to a pot luck dinner tonight and it was gobbled up, and several people asked for the recipe... so here you go!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment