Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Purpose of Boys



Since my becoming pregnant with my son, I've endeavored to read everything I can get my hands on about parenting and child development.  I've read at least 30 books in the last 18 months covering topics from pretnatal development, breastfeeding, child development in the first 2 years, and parenting.  I've also read books about how different cultures approach parenting.  One topic that has been and continues to be on my mind is my concern for the men in our country and what we're doing to our boys.  An important parenting goal for me is to understand boys and to parent my son in such a way that he is ready for manhood when it comes to him.  I decided to start reading up on the topic.  My first book is:



This book talks about how many boys are lacking in purpose in our culture-- no surprise here-- and provides surprising insight into the development of boys as they grow into men.  I highly recommend it-- especially if you have any contact with boys.  I started reading it while my son was napping, and when my son woke up from his nap, I wondered if I should be allowed to be around my son before completing it.  I opted for a hands on afternoon with plenty of play and language development.  There's no way this book is gonna tell me these two things are bad.  I'm looking forward to finishing this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment